One of the most prominent buildings on the A30 in Camberley. The Cambridge hotel was built in 1862 by Captain Charles Raleigh Knight, a property speculator, in association with the development of the Military Academy which was across the road.

The area around the hotel became known as Cambridge Town but was renamed “Camberley” in January 1877 to avoid confusion by the General Post Office with the Cambridgeshire university town of the same name. Generally the fabric of the building has survived well, with only a few additions and changes from its origin, although the internal layout is much altered.

The Kremer prize was conceived in the Cambridge Hotel in 1959 after Henry Kramer toured a Microcell factory.

The Cambridge Hotel taken in 2017
The Cambridge Hotel taken in 2017

Campaigners fear Cambridge Hotel closure may cost Camberley ‘part of its heart and soul’

Pub campaigners have launched a bid to save “part of Camberley‘s heart and soul, the Cambridge Hotel, which closed down on July 3 2016.

Members of the Surrey and Hampshire Borders branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) are anxious to find new owners for the pub.

Camberley historian Ken Clarke says the Cambridge Hotel was built when Camberley was still called Cambridge Town.

He adds: “It would be sad to see this historic building disappear like so many others before it, as it is one of the last links with Camberley’s glorious past. We can ill afford to keep losing our shrinking heritage and history.”

The Cambridge Hotel taken in 2017
The Cambridge Hotel taken in 2017