Work to install the temporary traffic light system began on 13 August. The new lights are expected to go live tonight.
This specialist equipment is able to communicate with our central network allowing us to optimise the phasing of the traffic lights in order to improve performance and reduce waiting times throughout the works. This equipment can also be remotely controlled and adjusted with the use of CCTV cameras to try and fix possible traffic flow issues.
The switchover to the new system can take a day of testing before reaching its full potential as it needs live traffic using the roundabout. There will be someone on site this evening and tomorrow morning during rush hour to adjust the phasing of the lights if required. The existing traffic signals will remain in place until the temporary signals are working well.
There will be night-time lane closures; and at times the closures of the following slip roads:-
- A331 to A30 slip road and
- Slip road into Stanhope Road (from the Meadows roundabout)
Closures will only be in place Monday to Friday 8pm to 6am.
There will be small signed diversions for the closures of the slip road – going around the roundabout for the first A331 to A30 slip road closure, and going south along the A331 back around the next roundabout and then returning up the A331 turning right into Stanhope Road.
Work to reduce congestion and journey times at the Meadows roundabout near Camberley is currently underway.
To minimise congestion and delays during the main works, most activity – such as lane closures – will take place at night.
The works are expected to take about one year, and include:
- Creating a new right turn from the A30 in Blackwater so drivers can head on to the A331 southbound towards Frimley and the M3 without using the main roundabout
- Lengthening the queuing lane for drivers approaching on the A331 from Frimley and the M3
- New traffic lights with better timings so drivers can go around the roundabout with in less time
- Improving the crossings for pedestrians and cyclists
Please follow the link below to view the proposed improvements:
First stages of works
9 July for 10 weeks – A30 Blackwater approach and A321 Sandhurst approach – work begins to widen the road to three lanes.
We will be working Monday to Friday throughout the day and night. The most disruptive works, and lane closures will be carried out at night.
The works carried out during the day will mainly be along the pavement which will be closed. There will be a new narrowed lane layout, but all lanes will remain open.
The works being carried out at night will require two lanes to be closed. One lane will remain open at all times.
For further information please see the following:
- Meadows Improvements June Newsletter
- A331 Shared Route April 2017 Newsletter (PDF, 345 KB)
- Cycle Corridor Improvements Surrey Heath (PDF, 141 KB)
Ways to keep up to date
- There will be progress reports published on this webpage
- You can also get updates straight to your inbox by signing up for monthly e-newsletters. To receive these just enter your email address in the box below
- Follow @SurreyTravel on Twitter for updates